AVAILABILITY REQUEST
Select place
Check-In Check-Out
Rooms Person Kids  
 
Type of accommodation
Accommodation
Arrangement:
VERSILIAINFO VERSILIAINFO VERSILIAINFO VERSILIAINFO VERSILIAINFO VERSILIAINFO VERSILIAINFO VERSILIAINFO VERSILIAINFO VERSILIAINFO VERSILIAINFO VERSILIAINFO VERSILIAINFO VERSILIAINFO VERSILIAINFO

Versilia's Churches

SHARE:
  • Versilia's Churches :
 

 

San Pietro

Typology:abbey
town:Camaiore
foundation: VIII century. d.C.
S. Pietro Church is the only remaining part of an homonymous Benedictin monastry founded along the "via Francigena" and dating back to 761. Despite of its many reconstructions during the modern age, especially due to earthqauckes, the Abbey (into which you can enter from the ancient monastry door) has preserved its middle age structure. S. Pietro Abbey has always been very important, since middle age, because of its strategic position, corresponding to the routes between Lucca and Luni. There aren't visible ruins of the ancient church but we can observe some aspects of the first building phase dating back to XII century: the aps and the lowest part of the facade. The portal preserves just the former lunette, but the jambs have been changed. Between 1856 and 1859 architecte Giuseppe Pardini renewed the whole building, closing the windows dating back to 1600, restoring the walls and making a.s.o... In 1902, after centuries during which the church was abandoned, the campanile was completely restored and a mullioned was inserted in the facade. At the end of 1900 was opened a new door on the southern side. Inside the church we can observe two interessants objects: an holy-water font and a Tabernacle from the XV century.
 

 

 

 

 

Santa Maria Assunta

Typology:Church
town:Camaiore
foundation:XIII century
Santa Maria Assunta Church was mentioned for the first time in 1260. It lies in the historical center of Camaiore. Despite of the changes in its modern age, the building can be considered a sample of the XIII century architecture. Very interesting are the rose-window of the facade and the ornaments date back to 1500. The Church oldest part is the campanile, dated back to the first half of XII century. In 1170 the building structure was transformed: it took the sembiance of a Latin cross and in the facade was added a new entrance and a central rose-window. In 1350 the campanile was made higher as told in a gravestone on the Tower-base; in 1448 there were important enlargement works, during which a cupule was built above the presbitery. The Church was bad damaged during the earthquake in 1536, and as consequence the building was restored. Last restoring and enlarging works were made in 1700, adding the absid, chapels on the sides, and 4 windows.
 

 

 

 

 

San Martino

Typology:church
town:
Pietrasanta
foundation:
XIII century d.C.
San Martino Church is mentioned in1260 as building related to Saint Giovanni and Felicita parish church. San Martino church, Pietrasanta's Cathedral, lies on long square where also Sant’Agostino Church and its convent are. It was built in 1255 from Lucca's citizens, immediately after Pietrasanta's foundation, and today it preserves the gotic shapes of its reconstruction that had place in 1300; inside there are some worthy sculpture realized between the XV and the XVI century. The oldest part of the church, correspondign to the old one built during the XIII century (the church had probably a Latin cross shape), can be observed in the northern side of the builduing. At the beginning of XIV century the builduing was completely reconstructed under the government of Castruccio Castracani.The Facade dates back to 1330, while we don't know where the campanile was at the time, because we don't have its vestigians. The present structure dates back to 1400/1500, even if during 1600 and 1800 some more addictional works were made.
 

 

 

 

 

San Pantaleone

Typology: parish church
Town: Massarosa, Pieve
foundation: IX secolo d.C.
The first mention about the parish church of Sant’Ambrogio dates back to 892. The parish church of San Pantaleone in Elici, rebuilt in XII century on middle age vestigias, is on a rock descending to the beach dividing two valleys, Freddana and Lucense, from Massaciuccoli lake. It was built in a predominaiting position on Massarosa plain and it's a symbol of pre-romanic architecture. In XII secolo the parish church of San Pantaleone was rebuilt with the shape of a Latin cross. The most important restoring works date back to 1725 and concern in particular the structure of the building: in the facade were open 2 big rectangular windows and on the northern side a new door was opened. In xx century the building was restored, first in 1906 and then again in 1956, trying to settle again a middle age atmosphere in this church.
 

 

 

 

 

Sant´Agostino

Typology:Church
town:Pietrasanta
foundation: dating back to the Middle of XIV century a.C.
Sant’Agostino church - which is one oh the most important sample of gothic architecture in the area of Lucca - overlooks, from its high stairs, Pietrasanta's central square. Straordinariamente caratteristica risulta l’architettura della facciata, scandita dagli archi a tutto sesto e dalla loggetta. Merita di essere segnalato l’orientamento della chiesa, non canonico, ma adattato alla struttura urbana della piazza, della quale costituisce il limite nord. La chiesa di Sant’Agostino fu costruita dai padri agostiniani con l’aiuto economico dei mercanti lucchesi intorno alla metà del XIV secolo, nel periodo cioè di massimo sviluppo di Pietrasanta, divenuta di fatto capitale economica della Versilia. L’edificio ha conservato integralmente la struttura trecentesca, se si escludono pochi interventi successivi. La chiesa, a navata unica con soffitto a capriate ed abside rettangolare, presenta oggi un unico ingresso con portale dotato di lunetta. Sui lati si aprivano una porta con arco a tutto sesto e tre grandi bifore in laterizio che, probabilmente in epoca cinquecentesca, furono chiuse e sostituite da quattro nuove finestre quadrangolari. Al 1780 risale la costruzione del campanile.
Il complesso di Sant’Agostino, di dimensioni notevoli, comprende anche il chiostro ed l’omonimo convento situato a est dell’edificio e soppresso da Napoleone agli inizi dell’Ottocento.
 

 

 

 

 

Santa Maria Assunta

Typology:church
town:Stazzema
foundation: XII sec. d.C.
La prima menzione della chiesa di Santa Maria di Stazzema nei documenti storici risale al IX secolo. La chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta è situata all’inizio del centro abitato di Stazzema, in posizione dominante sulla sottostante valle del fiume Vezza. I numerosi ampliamenti dell’edificio dimostrano l’accresciuta importanza della chiesa all’interno della comunità locale nel corso del medioevo. Significative sono inoltre le decorazioni scultoree della facciata, il grande rosone centrale ed alcuni capitelli del colonnato interno. Non sono conservati resti della chiesa alto-medievale. L’edificio, dipendente dalla pieve di Valdicastello, fu infatti ricostruito a navata unica e probabilmente con abside semicircolare agli inizi del 1100, in seguito allo sviluppo dell’abitato di Stazzema dovuto allo sfruttamento delle numerose miniere della zona. Le tracce del paramento originario sono visibili solamente in facciata, in particolare nel portale maggiore e nel rosone centrale. Nel corso del Quattrocento la chiesa venne ampliata con l’aggiunta di due navate minori e con l’apertura di due nuovi ingressi. Le murature laterali dell’edificio furono demolite e sostituite da due file di colonne. Risale a questa fase la porta, datata al 1499, realizzata per collegare l’area presbiterale con la sacrestia. Nel 1601 fu realizzato un loggiato presso la facciata, venne completamente ricostruita la parte absidale che assunse forma rettangolare e furono aperte le grandi finestre sul lato sud. Agli anni che vanno dal 1740 e il 1749 risale infine la ricostruzione del campanile nelle forme attuali e l’apertura di due nuove finestre nell’abside.
 

 

 

 

 

Santi Giovanni e Felicita

Typology:Pieve
Town:Pietrasanta, Valdicastello Carducci
foundation: XII sec. d.C.
La pieve dei Santi Giovanni Felicita viene ricordata per la prima volta nell’855. Questa notizia sembra riferirsi ad un edificio primitivo, i cui resti sono stati rinvenuti all’inizio del Novecento. La pieve dei Santi Giovanni e Felicita, che sorge isolata dall’abitato di Valdicastello, presenta, all´interno come sulla facciata, un apparato scultoreo risalente alla fase romanica. L’edificio costituisce uno dei pochi esempi di architettura religiosa che conserva intatti gli interventi operati nel corso della ristrutturazione gotica, testimoniata, sulla facciata, dall’inserimento del rosone riccamente decorato. La pieve dei Santi Giovanni e Felicita è situata all’imbocco del paese di Valdicastello, in corrispondenza di un importante corso viario medievale. La fase costruttiva più antica è individuabile nel paramento delle navate minori, in quello dell’abside e in quello della parte bassa della facciata, realizzati con tecniche differenti corrispondenti alle maestranze che si sono succedute nel corso del XII secolo. Alla ristrutturazione del 1408, guidata dall’architetto e scultore locale Bonuccio Pardini, devono essere ricondotte le sezioni alte della navata maggiore e della facciata. Interventi successivi, realizzati in epoca moderna, riguardano un lieve rialzamento delle navate minori e del campanile, nonché la costruzione della cella campanaria. Da notare infine, all’interno della chiesa, gli affreschi tardo-trecenteschi conservati nell’abside e il tabernacolo quattrocentesco posto a destra dell’ingresso.

Do not miss: